Great Minds, a rapidly growing challenger brand in the PK–12 instructional materials space, seeks an experienced Software Architect / Principal Engineer to join our dynamic, growing Technology team. In this role you will design and lead the construction of student and teacher facing applications on a modern, cloud native technology stack.
You are someone who’s excited to learn new technology and find ways to use it to drive compelling user experiences and solve business problems. You’re a strong communicator, able to translate business and product requirements to technical designs. You code prototypes to explore new technology or to convey a design idea. But you also effectively use diagrams and written documents to communicate overall architecture to engineers and product management alike.
Great Minds, a mission driven Public Benefit Corporation, brings teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™ and PhD Science™, all support teachers as they take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences. Founded in 2007, Great Minds now employs more than 1,000 people.
For additional information please visit: www.greatminds.org
OUR MARKET POSITION
Great Minds’ Eureka Math is the most widely used curriculum in the history of American education. It enjoys an unrivaled 40+ net promoter score. Eureka and its sister products, Wit & Wisdom English and PhD Science, embrace much higher expectations for all students and all teachers. In a market dominated by scripted, procedural materials that drive expectations down, Great Minds produces curricula that celebrate knowledge, respect the craft of teaching, and acknowledge the true capabilities of students.
The Principal Engineer is a senior-level individual contributor. The person filling this role ensures the software solutions we build are aligned to business and product requirements and deliver amazing customer experiences.
- Collaborate with product management to creatively design technology solutions that meet business and product requirements
- Communicate (written and verbal) technical architecture decisions and designs to software engineers so they can effectively implement each design
- Review application code to ensure adherence to Great Minds technology standards
- Develop prototypes and reference architecture implementations to prove out and/or communicate application architecture
- Define and maintain organization technology standards
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of engineers
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity
- 4-7 years of proven experience serving as a top-level expert, creating high-level architectural specifications and ensuring software solutions are consistently aligned to business and product requirements
- Knowledge of cloud-native application architectures, including one or more of the following: serverless, containerization, auto-scaling
- Ability to code application prototypes and reference architectures using one or more of the following languages/frameworks: NodeJS/Typescript, React, Terraform, NestJS
- Able to effectively communicate application architecture (written and verbal) to multiple audiences, including product, business, and software engineers
- Sense of intellectual curiosity and a passion for learning with a strong problem-solving mindset
- Bachelor’s degree
- Remote, but prefer local to office
- Prefer ability to work in D.C.
A cover letter and resume are required to be considered for this position.
If selected for an interview, background check will be required.
Great Minds is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the organization’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.