Staff Software Engineer Back End, CMS (remote)
Ad HocAd Hoc brings small teams of skilled professionals together to build government digital services that are fast, efficient, and usable by everyone.
This is a fully remote position.
Work on things that matter
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our teams use modern, agile methods to design and engineer government systems that connect Veterans with services, bring affordable health care to millions of people, and support important programs like Head Start. And as we work to make critical government services intuitive, accessible, and human-centered, we’re also changing how the government thinks about and uses technology. If you thrive on change, want to help close the gap between consumer expectations and government services, and can see the possibilities in ambiguity, then we want you here with us.
What matters most
Ad Hoc operates according to our commitment to inclusivity, acceptance, accountability, and humility. We aren’t heroes. We believe in missions larger than our individual selves and leave our egos at the door, learn from our mistakes, and iterate in order to better serve the people in our country. We prioritize building teams that represent the diversity of the people our government serves. We love the challenge of government-size projects. We want to bring skills to federal agencies, help them better meet the needs of their users, and close the gap between consumer expectations and government.
Built for a remote life
Ad Hoc is remote-first and remote-always. We’ve designed our culture, communications, and tools to support a nationwide distributed team since the beginning. Being remote by design allows Ad Hoc to be thoughtful and intentional about creating diverse teams and supporting them with a work environment that fits their lives. With a generous PTO policy and Slack channels for every interest (from bird watching to space nerds to parenting) our culture embraces the things happening in your life. Maybe you need to adjust your schedule to care for your family or take a bike ride. At Ad Hoc, that’s embraced.
The CMS business unit covers our work with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, including HealthCare.gov, Medicare.gov, and the Blue Button API. Our team supports CMS in building and improving online public experiences and APIs that are reliable, accessible, and user-centered. We are deeply embedded within CMS, partnering agency-wide to include with the Office of Communications, Office of Enterprise Data and Analytics, Center for Medicaid and CHIP Services, and Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation. Our work includes helping millions of people enroll in healthcare and access Medicare and Medicaid benefits, as well as helping CMS improve the quality of Medicare and Medicaid services for beneficiaries and clinicians.
Our ideal Staff Back End Software Engineer knows how to build large-scale production systems in modern agile environments. They write well-structured, tested, and secure code with little feedback or guidance. They’ve designed and implemented reliable and maintainable APIs and built services that integrate with external dependencies. They can articulate how the thing they've built fits into a larger ecosystem. They’re not afraid of large, complex problems. They take an active role in planning and delivery efforts, drawing on their experience to suggest better approaches or alternatives. As an Ad Hoc Back End Engineer, you’ll be:
What You'll Do
- Ensuring effective engineering delivery on their program or team.
- Contributing to and delivering performance reviews with direct reports.
- Shaping the technical direction of their program.
- Managing the technical relationship with the client, and influencing their technical decision-making.
- Influencing the customer toward successful outcomes by establishing trust through reliable and successful execution and demonstrated competency.
- Providing vision for other engineers within their area of influence, and advocating for that vision while taking into account client requirements.
- Prioritizing high-impact work and delivering on that work over non-critical tasks.
- Assigning tasks to and monitor the progress of task completion for team members.
- Providing mentorship and guidance to team members through practice, code review, presentations, and architecture. This may include, but isn’t limited to game day design and execution.
- Providing general career development advice to team members, and staying up to date on career options and new opportunities within the company that may be beneficial for the growth of those engineers.
- Effectively communicate on existing systems, design decisions, past performance, and a major history of the projects that they’ve been part of for bid-writing, tech demos, and other potentially client-facing communications.
- Informing program leadership of the health of your team and contributing to evaluation of team members, written or otherwise
- Actively contributing code and performing code review on your applications as an engineer.
- Participating in technical depth interviews with new candidates
- Conducting regular 1:1 meetings and performance reviews with direct reports; providing general career development advice to team members based on their knowledge of company policy and process
What You'll Bring
- Minimum 7 years of experience in software design and development, architecture, operations
- Experience leading a technical team
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience with Java
- Knowledge of FHIR
- API Development
- Ability to work
- Experience collaborating with other teams, adopting their goals as your own
- Experience with GO
- Excellent spelling, grammar, and communication skills
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, in particular ECS/Fargate, CloudWatch, IAM, EC2, and S3
- Understanding of basic networking fundamentals: TCP/IP, UDP, routing, load balancing, SSH
- Experience and understanding of one or more different agile methodologies, including Scrum, XP, or SAFe.
- A desire to expand your skills and gain experience with new tooling as needed
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S now and in the future without sponsorship
More than that, our ideal candidate wants to contribute to work that is bigger than themselves, and wants to make a difference collaborating with their team. They care deeply about building better products, better relationships, and better trust in each interaction people have with their government. They believe in intuitive, easy-to-use government services. They collaborate well with designers, stakeholders, and other teams. They mentor and guide more junior engineers. They’re human-centered.
And if you don’t check every box on the list? That doesn’t mean you can’t help us in our mission to deliver critical government services. Talk to us!
Some basic requirements
- All work must be conducted within the U.S., excluding U.S. territories. Some federal contracts require U.S. citizenship to be eligible for employment.
- You must be legally authorized to work in the U.S now and in the future without sponsorship.
- As a government contractor, you may be required to obtain a public trust security clearance.
- Minimum 7 years professional development.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, or another engineering background is required.
- Our technical screening involves completing a homework assignment that is then graded blind to remove bias. We do not do tricky, unreliable whiteboarding tests. You can read more about our homework here.
Learn more about engineering at Ad Hoc.
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Vanguard 401K Plan
- Use what you need PTO policy
- Continuing Education/Annual Conference Attendance Stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we've outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility . The range of starting pay for this role is $113,899 - $149,039 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.
Other jobs like this
Explore more Remote Work and WFH career opportunities
Find open roles in Engineering, Design, Data, Marketing, Sales, Operations, Support and more, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Remote Solutions Architect jobs
- Remote Staff Software Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Product Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Senior Data Scientist jobs
- Remote Business Analyst jobs
- Remote Technical Account Manager jobs
- Remote Senior Backend Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Data Analyst jobs
- Remote Sales Engineer jobs
- Remote Product Owner jobs
- Remote Solutions Engineer jobs
- Remote Technical Recruiter jobs
- Remote Salesforce Administrator jobs
- Remote Security Engineer jobs
- Remote QA Engineer jobs
- Remote Frontend Engineer jobs
- Remote Program Manager jobs
- Remote Business Development Manager jobs
- Remote Principal Software Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Customer Success Manager jobs
- Remote Staff Accountant jobs
- Remote Technical Writer jobs
- Remote Senior Frontend Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Project Manager jobs
- Remote Azure-related jobs
- Remote B2B-related jobs
- Remote Customer service-related jobs
- Remote React-related jobs
- Remote Data-driven-related jobs
- Remote HR-related jobs
- Remote CRM-related jobs
- Remote Product management-related jobs
- Remote Kubernetes-related jobs
- Remote Mentoring-related jobs
- Remote Machine Learning-related jobs
- Remote Linux-related jobs
- Remote Interpersonal skills-related jobs
- Remote Entrepreneurial-related jobs
- Remote Financial services-related jobs
- Remote Docker-related jobs
- Remote GCP-related jobs
- Remote CI/CD-related jobs
- Remote HTML-related jobs
- Remote Cybersecurity-related jobs
- Remote UX-related jobs
- Remote Scrum-related jobs
- Remote Banking-related jobs
- Remote Integrations-related jobs
- Remote KPIs-related jobs