Staff Engineer, Business Banking
MonzoJoin 6+ million people with a Monzo bank account. Free current accounts, joint accounts and business banking for all! We make money work for everyone
At Monzo we’re aiming to build the control centre for peoples financial lives. We are always keen to hear from capable, creative engineers who want to help us accomplish that goal 🚀
We’re here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque.
We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We're focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people's lives through Monzo.
About our Engineering Teams:
We have around 200 engineers out of roughly 2,000 people in total - and we have big ambitions. There are many interesting challenges ahead, and we're happy for people to move between teams or to specialise, whatever you prefer. As an engineer here you'd be able to work directly with anyone across the company, and we run regular knowledge-sharing sessions so you’ll learn heaps about everything from how banks work to effective communication.
What you’ll be using:
We rely heavily on the following tools and technologies:
- Go to write our application code (there’s an excellent interactive Go tutorial here)
- Cassandra for most persistent data storage
- Kafka for our asynchronous message queue
- Envoy Proxy for RPC
- Kubernetes and Docker to schedule and run our services
- AWS for most of our infrastructure
- React for internal web dashboards
- We also have two physical datacenter sites with actual cables to connect to various third parties
A Staff Engineer at Monzo is a technical (IC) leadership position. As a Staff Engineer in the Business Banking collective at Monzo, you’ll:
- Work with the product leadership team of your collective to ensure we are making the right trade-offs across squads. You’ll use your keen sense of product market fit to do this.
- Help your teams manage the trade-offs implied in shipping new product to market - balancing speed, polish and the need to learn what fits customers’ needs best.
- Rally your team around a mission, objective or company priority, injecting urgency when needed or slowing down pace to make sure the right controls are in place.
- Understand several work-streams across your group keeping enough context to regularly provide technical advice to other engineers.
- Use your expert knowledge and experience to lead architectural discussions for the most complex systems in the collective. You’ll do this in order to arrive at solutions that are robust and optimal given the context.
- Keep a high bar for technical excellence in the collective, through your own work, highlighting the work of others and calling out when things haven’t quite met the bar.
- Foster a culture of quality within the collective. Proactively championing measures to test work, and get buy-in from stakeholders when this is not appreciated.
- Pro-actively mentor, sponsor and up-level engineers.
Our vision in Business banking is to become the “Financial control centre” for SMEs
We are aiming to do this by providing the features, funding and services that businesses need. We want to integrate seamlessly with their existing tools to make them more powerful, and automate painful manual processes for SMEs.
Building on the Monzo experience we want to adopt and enhance our existing features and provide new features that are specific to businesses. For example, building on top of Pots we provide businesses with Tax pots that allow them to automatically put money aside on every incoming payment to be used later in the year as they file their taxes. We also build new Business specific features like the Invoices that allow businesses to create, send and manage their Invoices directly via their account.
Our main challenges evolve around:
- building features that allow Business to manage their account
- enable multiple users to have access to and manage the same account
- integrating with 3rd parties to connect to the tools that Businesses use, whilst maintaining customer data accurate and easily accessible
- managing and maintaining accurate data for Businesses as they are more complex structures
Our teams have a wide remit working vertically across all the layers of the application from the apps to the backend systems, and also horizontally across operations and internal tooling to make sure we provide the best customer experience across the board.
You should apply if:
- you have a track record of technical excellence, delivering resilient systems, ideally behind consumer products.
- you have technically led teams to solve complex product challenges, enabling them to manage trade-offs in order to deliver products that solve customer needs at scale.
- you have strong experience working on the backend of a technology product.
- you want to be involved in building a product that you (and the people you know) use every day.
- you have a product mindset: you care about customer outcomes and you want to make data-informed decisions.
- you’re comfortable working in a team that deals with ambiguity and have experience helping your team and partner team resolve that ambiguity.
- you’re interested in distributed systems and writing resilient software.
- you have some experience with strongly-typed languages (Go, Java, C, Scala etc.).
- you think you’d enjoy the kind of work we’re doing.
💰Salary is around £140,000 - £180,000 plus stock options and other benefits.
✈️We can help you relocate to the UK
✅We can sponsor visas.
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefits here
We are actively creating an equitable environment for all of our engineers to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our 2021 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2021 Gender Pay Gap Report.
Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2021 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2021 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
Other jobs like this
Observability - Engineering Manager (cloud-native Monitoring)Cloud Elastic GitHub High performance Kubernetes Machine Learning Open Source +4
Career development Competitive pay Flex hours Flex vacation Health care +3
C++ Software EngineerAgile B2B Coaching Computer Vision Machine Learning Mentor Mentoring +4
Career development Conferences Flex hours Health care Salary bonus +1
Software Engineer (Golang) - Identity & Access, Open to remote across ANZAWS Azure Backend CI/CD Cloud Computer Science GCP +6
Fitness / gym Flex hours Home office stipend Parental leave Team events +1
Explore more Remote Work and WFH career opportunities
Find open roles in Engineering, Design, Data, Marketing, Sales, Operations, Support and more, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Remote Staff Software Engineer jobs
- Remote Account Manager jobs
- Remote Senior Data Scientist jobs
- Remote Senior Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Remote Technical Recruiter jobs
- Remote Senior Product Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Business Analyst jobs
- Remote Senior Backend Engineer jobs
- Remote Sales Engineer jobs
- Remote Solutions Engineer jobs
- Remote Technical Account Manager jobs
- Remote Technical Writer jobs
- Remote Senior Data Analyst jobs
- Remote Security Engineer jobs
- Remote Salesforce Administrator jobs
- Remote Senior Customer Success Manager jobs
- Remote QA Engineer jobs
- Remote Product Owner jobs
- Remote Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Frontend Engineer jobs
- Remote Content Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Program Manager jobs
- Remote Technical Program Manager jobs
- Remote Backend Engineer jobs
- Remote Recruiter jobs
- Remote Backend-related jobs
- Remote Java-related jobs
- Remote Machine Learning-related jobs
- Remote Coaching-related jobs
- Remote DevOps-related jobs
- Remote React-related jobs
- Remote Customer service-related jobs
- Remote Kubernetes-related jobs
- Remote CRM-related jobs
- Remote Entrepreneurial-related jobs
- Remote HR-related jobs
- Remote Interpersonal skills-related jobs
- Remote Mentoring-related jobs
- Remote UX-related jobs
- Remote Docker-related jobs
- Remote Linux-related jobs
- Remote Azure-related jobs
- Remote CI/CD-related jobs
- Remote Open Source-related jobs
- Remote User Experience-related jobs
- Remote Integrations-related jobs
- Remote FinTech-related jobs
- Remote KPIs-related jobs
- Remote Financial services-related jobs
- Remote UI-related jobs