Remote - US
GitHubGitHub is where over 83 million developers shape the future of software, together. Contribute to the open source community, manage your Git repositories, review code like a pro, track bugs and features, power your CI/CD and DevOps workflows,...
GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub! We’re looking for an experienced Director of Engineering to join the Platform and Enterprise organization.
Millions of developers of open source and enterprise software rely on GitHub to build, ship, and maintain their software. These developers rely on us to provide identity access management to ensure the authentication and authorization pipeline, the protocols, the policies that give the tools to work collaboratively and securely.
If the world is building software through GitHub then Identity is how they collaborate and work.
We will provide the ability to build the teams, apps and policies to ensure your project on GitHub works the way you expect. The reward is to have an unrivaled impact on the universe of creativity that is software development.
This role will be involved in the design and support of GitHub’s identity system with your team and product partners. Together we are creating the tools and products that are integral to how people build software. We pride ourselves on being thoughtful, intentional, and productive. We hope you do as well.
- Help ensure that individuals on the team are learning, growing and advancing in their respective careers through mentorship, pairing, and delegating work
- Participate in hiring and sourcing to build a diverse high performance team of managers and engineers
- Communicate and reinforce vision and culture to aligning teams towards impactful work
- Cultivate an environment across the company where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging
- Work with the team to develop, communicate, and track progress against long term plans
- Drive defining organizational vision & objectives with leaders across Product, Design, and Engineering
- Ensure the team, the company and the community have a clear understanding of the direction of the projects and the reasoning behind decisions
- Think creatively while balancing technical constraints and customer needs to enable your team to build architecturally consistent, high quality software to reliably meet customer needs and exceed their expectations
- Own and advocate for the health and quality of the systems that the team builds, participate in a manager on-call rotation, and respond to incidents as necessary
- Drive data driven improvements to both product quality and engineering efficiency across your organization
- 5+ years of experience leading engineering teams delivering high availability, enterprise grade services
- 2+ years of experience managing through managers
- 8+ years of experience developing web applications or large scale systems.
- Experience in the identity space (OAuth, SAML, Tokens, Security, SCIM)
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Experience developing a strategy and roadmap for your teams
- Experience with hiring & building teams
- Demonstrated design skills for large scale and highly available cloud services or distributed systems
- Experience with maintaining production systems including: monitoring, observability and diagnosing problems
- Excellent analytical skills as well as communication skills both verbal and written. We’re a distributed team so we’re extra mindful about communication.
- Strong customer focus and data driven approach
- Experience in Go, Ruby is a plus.
- Experience with MySQL, MSSQL or other general database knowledge
- At least 1 year of remote work experience leading a distributed software team is a plus
(Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $118,100 to maximum $250, 600 + bonus + equity + benefits.
· Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired in Colorado.
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from anywhere in the United States or onsite in one of GitHub’s U.S. offices (San Francisco, Bellevue, Raleigh).
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Other jobs like this
Explore more Remote Work and WFH career opportunities
Find open roles in Engineering, Design, Data, Marketing, Sales, Operations, Support and more, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Remote Staff Software Engineer jobs
- Remote Account Manager jobs
- Remote Senior Data Scientist jobs
- Remote Senior Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Product Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Technical Recruiter jobs
- Remote Business Analyst jobs
- Remote Senior Backend Engineer jobs
- Remote Solutions Engineer jobs
- Remote Sales Engineer jobs
- Remote Technical Account Manager jobs
- Remote Technical Writer jobs
- Remote Senior Data Analyst jobs
- Remote Security Engineer jobs
- Remote Salesforce Administrator jobs
- Remote Senior Customer Success Manager jobs
- Remote Product Owner jobs
- Remote QA Engineer jobs
- Remote Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Frontend Engineer jobs
- Remote Program Manager jobs
- Remote Technical Program Manager jobs
- Remote Content Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Backend Engineer jobs
- Remote Frontend Engineer jobs
- Remote Backend-related jobs
- Remote Java-related jobs
- Remote Machine Learning-related jobs
- Remote Coaching-related jobs
- Remote DevOps-related jobs
- Remote React-related jobs
- Remote Customer service-related jobs
- Remote Kubernetes-related jobs
- Remote CRM-related jobs
- Remote Entrepreneurial-related jobs
- Remote HR-related jobs
- Remote Interpersonal skills-related jobs
- Remote Mentoring-related jobs
- Remote UX-related jobs
- Remote Docker-related jobs
- Remote Linux-related jobs
- Remote Azure-related jobs
- Remote CI/CD-related jobs
- Remote Open Source-related jobs
- Remote User Experience-related jobs
- Remote Integrations-related jobs
- Remote FinTech-related jobs
- Remote KPIs-related jobs
- Remote Financial services-related jobs
- Remote UI-related jobs