Posted 1 month ago
Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, with more than 1,000,000 works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 of the world’s leading galleries, auction houses, art fairs, and institutions across 190 countries.
As Artsy expands its platform in size and complexity, we continue to focus on improving our data storytelling about artists across all Artsy products. Reliable data powers artist discovery, is relied upon by collectors to make purchasing decisions, and positions Artsy to achieve its mission of expanding the art market to support more artists and art in the world.
As such, we are currently seeking a Metadata Specialist to oversee and execute quality assurance and data moderation processes over Artsy’s extensive roster of artists — including descriptive metadata, career facts, market information, and news flows associated with Artsy’s substantial roster of artists.
Reporting directly to and collaborating closely with Artsy’s Chief Scientist, the Metadata Specialist will be an integral part of Artsy’s Data Operations Team. You will work cross-functionally with art professionals and data scientists across the company to maintain accurate and comprehensive data about artists to create value for the entire world of art enthusiasts.
- Collaboratively design, and then execute and manage data acquisition and quality assurance initiatives that touch Artsy’s artist catalog. For example, detecting and correcting inaccurate descriptive metadata and data clean-up.
- Become the expert on artist-level metadata, and industry best practices for it
- Reconcile and moderate data streams coming from various sources — first-party data from internal teams (e.g. The Art Genome Project), second-party data from external stakeholders (e.g. auction and gallery partners, outsource researchers), and aggregated third-party data.
- Manage Artsy’s data moderation workflows such as internal ticketing systems that touch artist metadata
- Proactively assist internal teams in resolving catalog-related metadata issues with external stakeholders. Own issues through resolution and prevent unnecessary escalations.
- Coordinate outsource researcher workflow for data acquisition initiatives.
- Assist in the development of internal operations, policies, and standards to build authority, consistency, and trust for both collector and partner experiences at scale.
- Bachelor Degree or above. Background in Art History or Information Science preferred.
- 3-7 years professional experience in the arts (level will be dependent on experience)
- Background in art documentation, cataloging, or collections management preferred. Strong ability to use data, documentation, and research to inform decision making.
- Skilled at data manipulation in Google Sheets
- Exceptional critical thinking and customer-facing skills in ambiguous and rapidly changing situations.
- Strong analytical and communication skills. Able to conduct detailed and thorough analysis, synthesize issues, and then recommend solutions.
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
For the Love of Art: We have relentless curiosity, empathy, and passion for collectors, artists, and the art market. We are here to make the art world more fair and welcoming.
Own Our Outcomes: We are all individual owners of Artsy’s shared success. We are resourceful and resilient, and to get the job done, we each take responsibility for our outcomes.
Lead with Openness: We trust in our teammates. We seek diverse perspectives, communicate authentically, and act with integrity. A more open art world starts with us.
Transform Together: Our mission asks us to challenge the status quo. We embrace feedback, learning, and change so that we can transform our industry, our company, and ourselves.
Impact Over Perfection: Using both art and science, we debate and decide swiftly and iterate on our plans as we learn. To make the biggest impact, we prioritize speed and clarity of action over perfection.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.