Director of Strategic Finance
Muck RackUse Muck Rack to find journalists, get press for your story, monitor the news and report on the impact of your PR. Journalists can build portfolios and accelerate their careers.
Muck Rack is the leading SaaS platform for public relations and communications professionals. Our mission is to enable organizations to build trust, tell their stories and demonstrate the unique value of earned media. Muck Rack’s Public Relations Management (PRM) platform enables PR teams to work together to find the right journalists for their stories, send customized pitches, build meaningful relationships with the media, monitor news, and quantify their impact.
Self-funded, globally distributed, and growing quickly, Muck Rack has received several awards for its unparalleled culture and product from organizations like Crains, G2, and BuiltIn. We value resilience, transparency, ownership, & customer devotion and infuse these values into everything we do.
We’re looking for our first Strategic Finance hire to build out and scale the finance function. While this role might more typically be titled FP&A, the focus of this new position at Muck Rack will be on building a forward-thinking team that drives business impact rather than just on reporting historical results.
In this critical and high exposure role, you will report to, and partner with, the CFO to build a team that produces the reporting, analytics and strategic insights that drive long-term results and improve operational performance. Additionally, you will develop streamlined processes and systems for budgeting, forecasting and reporting of KPIs and financial results with the goal of accelerating business decision-making and identifying key areas of opportunity to drive growth and profitability. This role will work closely with the senior management team across Muck Rack.
What you’ll do:
- Own the financial model and lead forecasting, budgeting and long-range planning
- Lead analysis for long-term strategic planning across all areas of the company, partnering cross-functionally with leadership to position the business for future success
- Identify opportunities, develop hypotheses, and execute in-depth analyses to translate data into insights and clearly articulate insights to influence action
- Promote data-driven insights across Muck Rack by developing and visually presenting key KPIs and spotting trends and drivers in order to promote internal understanding and action
- Lead the production and analysis of monthly operating and financial results
- Own quarterly management and Board reporting, ensuring a high degree of quality, timeliness, and accuracy, as well as highlighting key business insights
- Establish and develop a Strategic Finance organization, including the implementation of streamlined processes and reporting systems that is scalable and always improving
- Build, develop and manage a world class Strategic Finance team including identifying organizational needs, hiring, and coaching
How success will be measured in this role:
- Accuracy and timeliness of budgeting
- Cross-functional and organizational impact
If the details below describe you, you could be a great fit for this role:
- 10+ years of experience in roles across Strategic Finance, FP&A, investment banking and/or PE/VC (advanced modeling skills required) with 5+ years of people management experience
- Experience at one or more fast-growing SaaS business
- Strong communicator who can explain complex concepts and analysis to non-financial audiences as well as senior management and external stakeholders
- Self-starter who is intellectually curious and not afraid to seek out projects independently
- Experience working cross-functionally in a business (sales, product, engineering, marketing etc.) to deliver results
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to flex down to the details and up to long-term strategic planning
- Doer who is not afraid to roll up their sleeves
- Experience with business analytics and tools such as Tableau, as well as experience implementing planning systems
- SQL experience
Below you'll find an outline of the interview plan for our Director of Strategic Finance role. Please note that this is what we expect the process to look like; we may ask you for supplemental information or require an additional step before making a final decision.
- 30 min interview with a member of our Talent Team
- A 1 hour zoom interview with the hiring manager
- A short project to build a financial model and present findings / insights of a competitor
- A final interview with several team members
In the US, the base salary for this role is between $150,000 and $170,000+, depending on skills and experience. We take a geo-neutral approach to compensation within the US, meaning that we pay based on job function and level, not location. For all other countries, we have competitive pay bands based on market standards.Individual compensation decisions are based on a number of factors, including experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at our company to fall healthily throughout the range based on these factors. We recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.
Why Muck Rack?
Remote Work, Forever. We’re a fully distributed team and have pledged to remain that way forever. We offer employees a full home office setup, phone & internet reimbursement, and a monthly coworking membership. We build culture through virtual and in-person team bonding opportunities including team lunches, friendly competitions, and celebratory events!
Transparent Compensation. We offer competitive geo-neutral pay in the U.S. and review compensation at least once annually to ensure internal equity and alignment with the external market. Depending on the role, we offer either a standardized bonus program or attainable commission structure and an opportunity to earn equity in the company. All employees are eligible for our 401(k) plan* with employer contributions.
Health & Wellness*. Muck Rack provides comprehensive health, dental, vision, and disability insurance for employees and their families. We offer a select plan with 100% premium coverage for individuals and 70% premium coverage for dependents, as well as a range of other plans. Our team also has access to OneMedical, 24/7 Virtual Care, an Employee Assistance Program, and a Flexible Spending Account. Team members have access to a quarterly wellness stipend and a free Headspace subscription.
PTO and Family Benefits. Our team enjoys 4+ weeks of off-the-grid PTO, plus paid sick/mental health days, summer Fridays, and 10+ paid holidays. In order to combat Zoom fatigue and allow for deep work without interruption, we have implemented “No Internal Meeting Fridays” year round. We also provide up to 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave.
Personal & Professional Development. We grow talent by creating internal pathways for advancement and promotion. Muck Rack conducts bi-annual performance reviews, hosts team-wide workshops, and offers management training and leadership training opportunities. We also provide unlimited subscriptions to L&D platforms including Coursera & O’Reilly, as well as 2 additional days of PTO to dedicate to learning and development.
Culture of Inclusion. We know that diverse perspectives breed innovation and help us better serve our customers. We are committed to ensuring employees feel their identities are valued and that people of all backgrounds and points of view are treated equitably.
Customer-First. Self-funded means we have the freedom to be nimble, highly collaborative and innovative, building forward-thinking products that enable 3,000+ companies around the world to build trust, tell their stories and demonstrate the unique value of earned media.
*These benefits are specific to US-based employees. In some, but not all, cases we are able to offer equivalent benefits to employees located outside of the United States.We deliberately encourage individuals from all backgrounds, including race, gender identity, sexual orientation, and disability status to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer and we're committed to a fair and consistent interview process and employer experience. #LI-Remote
Perks/benefits: Career development Competitive pay Equity Flex hours Flexible spending account Flex vacation Health care Home office stipend Insurance Parental leave Salary bonus Startup environment Team events Unlimited paid time off Wellness
Other jobs like this
Explore more Remote Work and WFH career opportunities
Find open roles in Engineering, Design, Data, Marketing, Sales, Operations, Support and more, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Remote Staff Software Engineer jobs
- Remote Account Manager jobs
- Remote Senior Data Scientist jobs
- Remote Senior Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Product Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Technical Recruiter jobs
- Remote Business Analyst jobs
- Remote Senior Backend Engineer jobs
- Remote Solutions Engineer jobs
- Remote Sales Engineer jobs
- Remote Technical Account Manager jobs
- Remote Technical Writer jobs
- Remote Senior Data Analyst jobs
- Remote Security Engineer jobs
- Remote Salesforce Administrator jobs
- Remote Senior Customer Success Manager jobs
- Remote QA Engineer jobs
- Remote Product Owner jobs
- Remote Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Frontend Engineer jobs
- Remote Program Manager jobs
- Remote Content Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Technical Program Manager jobs
- Remote Backend Engineer jobs
- Remote Frontend Engineer jobs
- Remote Backend-related jobs
- Remote Java-related jobs
- Remote Machine Learning-related jobs
- Remote Coaching-related jobs
- Remote DevOps-related jobs
- Remote React-related jobs
- Remote Customer service-related jobs
- Remote Kubernetes-related jobs
- Remote CRM-related jobs
- Remote Entrepreneurial-related jobs
- Remote HR-related jobs
- Remote Interpersonal skills-related jobs
- Remote Mentoring-related jobs
- Remote UX-related jobs
- Remote Docker-related jobs
- Remote Linux-related jobs
- Remote Azure-related jobs
- Remote CI/CD-related jobs
- Remote Open Source-related jobs
- Remote User Experience-related jobs
- Remote Integrations-related jobs
- Remote FinTech-related jobs
- Remote KPIs-related jobs
- Remote Financial services-related jobs
- Remote UI-related jobs