Senior Software Engineer, Cloud Platforms
South San Francisco, CA OR Remote
VerilyVerily is focused on using technology to better understand health, as well as prevent, detect, and manage disease. Our mission is to bring together technology and life sciences to uncover new truths about health and disease.
Verily is an Alphabet company combining a data-driven, people-first approach to bring the promise of precision health to everyone, every day.
Our team combines expertise in healthcare, data science and technology to improve the health and well-being of our communities. We are developing the infrastructure and solutions to harness the profusion of health information for good. Our data-driven solutions span three primary areas: research, care and innovation. Programs include Project Baseline - our research initiative to increase participation and evidence generation in clinical research; Onduo - our personalized virtual care platform, which includes connected tools, lifestyle coaching and clinical support; and Debug - our effort to reduce the threat of mosquito-borne diseases by combining machine learning with sterile insect technique. We’re also actively working to combat the spread of COVID-19 through new programs like Healthy at Work.
The Platform Engineering team is responsible for building a cloud-native developer platform (PaaS) that enables the end-to-end software development lifecycle for over 600 engineers at Verily. Our team develops capabilities around cloud provisioning, CI, CD and application templates, among other pillars. Our vision is to be a product-oriented, highly-effective, world-class platform engineering team that has a large positive impact on the software development process at Verily. As part of this team, you will work closely with engineers who have previously worked on successful projects such as Kubernetes, istio and Firebase at Google.
- Own the vision, design, and development of new capabilities for platform pillars .
- Starting from the desired developer UX and working backwards, design and implement systems that leverage state-of-the-art cloud-native open source components (e.g. Kubernetes, istio, Terraform, ArgoCD, Backstage).
- Help set the technical direction and priorities for other contributors to the pillar.
- Lead the charge in implementation and set an example of best practices in code health and in production (e.g. monitoring, frequent releases, reliable CI).
- Facilitate a rapidly growing team and organization by guiding junior engineers, setting high standards in design reviews, driving roadmaps and prioritization of user-facing features, and providing input on team processes.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a related field or equivalent practical experience in software engineering.
- 3+ years experience developing and maintaining reliable, scalable and secure products and services in production in Go, Java, C++, or similar general-purpose object-oriented programming languages.
- Prior experience with cloud deployment technologies: Docker, Kubernetes, Google Cloud Platform/AWS/Azure or other cloud providers, Terraform, or related tools.
- Strong foundation in data structures, algorithms, and system design with strong analytical and debugging skills.
- Strong communication skills especially design documentation and technical writing.
- Experience with Kubernetes and Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience with microservices, software delivery platforms, DevSecOps, continuous integration, and release management processes.
- Experience contributing to Open Source Software.
- Experience working in a centralized developer platform team is a plus.
- Passionate about developer UX with a high empathy for users.
* Salary range is an estimate based on our salary survey at salaries.freshremote.work
Perks/benefits: Career development
Other jobs like this
Staff Autonomy Software Engineer - Behavior & PlanningAgile Linux Mentoring PhD Statistics Unit testing
401(k) matching Career development Competitive pay Equity Health care +2
Engineering Manager (Remote)Backend CI/CD CircleCI Complex issues Data-driven Django Docker GitHub Interpersonal skills Kubernetes +11
Career development Competitive pay Equity Flex hours Flex vacation +4
Explore more Remote Work and WFH career opportunities
Find open roles in Engineering, Design, Data, Marketing, Sales, Operations, Support and more, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Remote Senior Data Scientist jobs
- Remote Technical Support Engineer jobs
- Remote Account Manager jobs
- Remote Senior Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Backend Engineer jobs
- Remote Solutions Engineer jobs
- Remote Sales Engineer jobs
- Remote Technical Account Manager jobs
- Remote Business Analyst jobs
- Remote Staff Software Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Product Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Salesforce Administrator jobs
- Remote Senior Data Analyst jobs
- Remote Security Engineer jobs
- Remote Technical Writer jobs
- Remote Senior Customer Success Manager jobs
- Remote Program Manager jobs
- Remote Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Remote Recruiter jobs
- Remote Content Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Backend Engineer jobs
- Remote Product Owner jobs
- Remote QA Engineer jobs
- Remote Frontend Engineer jobs
- Remote Marketing Operations Manager jobs
- Remote Coaching-related jobs
- Remote DevOps-related jobs
- Remote Customer service-related jobs
- Remote React-related jobs
- Remote Kubernetes-related jobs
- Remote CRM-related jobs
- Remote Backend-related jobs
- Remote Entrepreneurial-related jobs
- Remote HR-related jobs
- Remote Interpersonal skills-related jobs
- Remote UX-related jobs
- Remote Docker-related jobs
- Remote Mentoring-related jobs
- Remote Linux-related jobs
- Remote Azure-related jobs
- Remote Open Source-related jobs
- Remote User Experience-related jobs
- Remote Integrations-related jobs
- Remote CI/CD-related jobs
- Remote KPIs-related jobs
- Remote FinTech-related jobs
- Remote Financial services-related jobs
- Remote Cloud-based-related jobs
- Remote UI-related jobs
- Remote Jira-related jobs